Common Propane Delivery Questions

June 30th, 2015 by Tevis Propane

Here are some answers to common propane delivery questions.

What is the 80-20 rule?

While Liquid Propane Gas (LPG) is a very versatile and modern fuel, most dial gauges found on propane tanks are pretty low-tech. First of all, as its name indicates, liquid propane gas is delivered and stored in its fluid state. But when it is converted to its gaseous state for burning in your system it expands to 270 times its liquid volume! Because of this, aboveground deliveries follow the 80-20 Rule: Aboveground tanks should only be filled to 80% capacity with liquid propane. The remaining 20% of the tank’s volume is needed for the propane liquid to convert itself into gas before it is gently released by the tank’s regulator to the piping system and propane appliances.

Of course, like any other liquid in a container, propane also expands and contracts with changing outdoor temperatures. The space in your tank will easily accommodate this, but you may observe subtle fluctuations in your gauge readings as a result. Ideally, given the “80-20” rule, propane is delivered when your tank is between 20% and 30% full. So, if you just got a delivery and the “only” gauge reads 80%, perfect! You got a “full” tank of propane

So how does the delivery driver know for sure the tank is 80% full?

That’s where the bleeder valve comes in It is designed so that during the filling process, liquid will bleed out of the open valve when the propane in the tank reaches 80% of its capacity. Why? This lets the delivery driver know that the tank has reached its maximum filling point, while still allowing for any expansion of the liquid propane gas that may occur inside your tank. It is the bleeder valve  that determines the actual level of fuel inside the tank, not the tank gauge.

Please be assured that no matter the gauge’s reading before or after a delivery, Tevis Propane will only charge for the amount of liquid propane actually delivered to you.

What is Automatic Delivery?

As the name implies, automatic delivery is designed to deliver propane when you need it without the hassle of checking your gauge. Thus, you can be confident that you’ll always have propane when you need it. Here’s how it works. Tevis Propane regularly monitors your propane supply levels and combined with your usage history and temperature they schedule deliveries to fill up your tank when the level drops below 40%. All of this occurs automatically with no need to call, schedule an appointment, or even checking your tank levels. Additionally, in cases of extreme weather or other emergencies, automatic delivery customers are guaranteed to be supplied.

But what if I use more propane than my history indicates?

Yes. That can happen when you use a fireplace, room heater or other propane appliances more often, regardless of the weather. And that can result in the standard method of calculating and scheduling propane deliveries for central heating systems being accurate. Here’s an option. The Tevis ECHO wireless propane tank monitoring system silently monitors your tank’s propane volume and transmits this data to Tevis Propane over a landline phone system or cellular signal. When the volume of propane drops below your preferred level, you get a delivery. ECHO is always on time.

In the end, automatic delivery ensures that you have a constant supply of propane at all times to meet your needs. It also takes much of the hassle out of managing your own supply levels and scheduling propane deliveries.

Tevis Propane wants you to have confidence in your deliveries! Please call or email.

Tevis Propane
410-239-3900

Comments are closed.

Facebook